Friday 18 October 2013

Facing up to Triggers

As the title suggests, I will be talking about triggers in this post. So here's the warning to leave this blog post now if you don't feel strong enough.

When I got out of hospital in 2011 after the 17-month stay, it took me a fair while to get used to living in the 'real world' again. I had spent all but about a month on section 3s so I was used to being restricted by them and having to be at a certain place at a certain time everyday. However, once I got used to living in the real world, my thoughts changed to, "I can't ever go back to a psych ward."

Whilst it was great living 'normally' again, I couldn't stop thinking about that long hospital stay and the events that had happened. I was constantly afraid that I was going to be taken back into hospital, so much so that I kept a shard of glass hidden in a secret part of my bag for a few months. My thoughts were that if I was ever taken into hospital again, I would use the shard to kill myself with so that I didn't have to go through another lengthy admission. I think it was about four months before I binned the glass and focussed more on recovery than my hospital fears.

The hospital fears were still present though and I found myself getting easily triggered. The worst trigger for me was syringes. If there was ever a health story on the news that showed someone getting an injection, my heart would start racing. My heart would pound a bit if I saw someone in a nurse uniform in public, and even driving near the hospital where I'd been a patient would make me feel extremely uncomfortable. Even though I was trying to stay focussed on recovery, my hospital fears were still quite powerful in the back of my mind.

I didn't tell anyone about these fears, not my family, not my CPN, nobody, because I was determined to fight the fears alone. I'm a real perfectionist and when I get an idea in my head, I have to do it or else I can't settle. I got it into my head that I could desensitise myself to hospital et al by riding my scooter near the hospital where I'd been a patient. (When I say scooter, I mean an automatic motorbike, not the thing you use your feet to propel yourself with!)

At first, I just rode near the hospital but turned off before going down the road the hospital was on. After that, I started riding past the hospital itself. It was quite nerve-wracking at first, but as I needed to concentrate on my riding, I was able to distract myself from my fears. In the middle of August, a few months after I started the desensitising process, I was finally able to ride down the road the hospital was on without fear. When I got home from that ride, I started thinking about going into the actual hospital and just sitting in the cafe for a bit. It turned out that I was about to get a lot further than just the cafe.

Literally the day after that ride, I began experiencing the abdominal pain I've written about. The next day, a doctor came out to see me and told me to go to hospital as he suspected appendicitis. When he said this, tears came to my eyes and once the doctor had left, I burst into tears. Once the ambulance arrived, I was a bit calmer but still quite emotional. However, when I did arrive at the hospital, my heart wasn't racing like it had done a few months previously when I was riding my scooter down that road. I think my desensitising process had really helped me. I dread to think what I would have been like if I hadn't desensitised myself!

The problems only started when I had to have a blood test. Seeing the needle made me start crying again and when they put a drip into my hand, my heart was pounding. I hadn't had a blood test for well over a year at that point, despite my GP suggesting I should have a blood test at my annual medication review a few months previously. The fears started easing though, and when I had another blood test the following day or the day after (I can't remember which day it was), I managed to keep myself calm and not cry.

On the third day after some tests, I was told I needed to have an injection. I tried to stay calm but whenever they did the actual injection, I burst into tears. The nurse who gave me the injection was amazing though. Despite the fact that the ward was exceedingly busy, she sat with me for half an hour to make sure I was OK and talked through my fears with me. I told her of my diagnosis, and she told me that I was the sanest schizophrenic she had ever met. I'm taking that as a compliment!

Anyway, after being discharged from that hospital stay, I no longer had such strong fears about hospital. So when a loved one had to go into hospital just after I was discharged, I found that I wasn't that stressed by nurse uniforms or syringes anymore. I would have gone to visit more had it not been for my abdominal pain but the times I did go to visit, I found that I was generally OK.

Then I had the second trip to hospital with suspected appendicitis. When the time came for blood tests, I was fine. I was equally fine with the drip in my hand and being in hospital again. It was only when I was sectioned again that the fears of hospital started coming back.

However, I've surprised myself at how well I've managed with all the triggers. Admittedly, the first couple of times I heard the emergency alarm, I crawled underneath the desk, hugged my knees and stayed put until I was coaxed out. But on the whole, I've managed with the triggers quite well. Seeing people with self-harm or suicide attempt injuries hasn't triggered me to self-harm; I have had thoughts of self-harm but they've not been because of triggers, the thoughts have come from me.

By the way, I'm not writing this to make myself sound good in a sort of "Look at me, how well I'm doing, everyone should be like me," blah blah, I'm writing this to show that it is possible to overcome triggers. I only overcame mine because I had to go into hospital but the desensitising process I started on my scooter, driving past the hospital, was self-initiated. Triggers can be overcome. It may require a lot of mental strength to do so but triggers are like fears. If you stand up to them and face them, they can be beaten.

I feel almost lucky that I had no real choice but to face up to my triggers. I'm glad that I'm not triggered by needles or nurse uniforms anymore. It's good to be able to walk down the road that leads to the hospital and not be triggered by the sight of the building. There are a few positive grains amongst the load of negatives, and I'm trying to stay feeling positive about things and not let things drag me down.

They say that every cloud has a silver lining. I think I've just proved them right!

Oh and just to say, the abdominal pain I was experiencing was put down as pain without medical cause and most of the pain has gone now.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent post! When I left the psychiatric hospital in London after 15 months in hospital, I used to think I could see my psychiatrist in my home town which is over 100 miles away from the London Psychiatric hospital I was in. Years later I went to the coffee shop in the grounds of the psych hospital in London to help get over my fears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi West,

      It's good that you were able to overcome your fears too, and I hope you are doing well. Thanks for getting in touch!

      Katy x

      Delete
  2. I know some of what that is like. I'm not sure how I recovered. The hospital fears remained though for quite some time. It helped to write but I was never able to approach those places, and anyways, I've been turned away several times which is good, because it was not on account of being too sick but not being sick enough. I'm proud of myself for getting better and I wish the same for you. I have such an embedded fear of injections that I think if I were ever inpatient again I would prob take pills if anyone threatened it, but in another instance that was used it was for an ineffective medication. I know they were trying to help me, but I was put on a high dose of Geodon which worsened and almost brought out my symptoms. This put me in a very confusing situation, because the Geodon caused hallucinations for me. Is it normal for medications to cause hallucinations in people with schizophrenia, or is that a sign of a mood disorder like bipolar? IDK, but I kept a journal so as to document it. The paranoia was so extreme on Geodon that when I got home I immediately relapsed. I wish people knew the full story, that medication induced a lot of the psychosis I experienced when I was seventeen. But, like we need more patient accountability and advocacy in the U.S. I'm glad that you are getting the help you need, I don't deny the symptoms I experience. I still take medication, but they put me on the wrong one which had the opposite effect on me. Everyone's different, and I think more doctors should listen to the concerns of their patients, and not dismiss it all. You sound very educated about your experiences, and knowledge has helped me the most to fight this illness. That, and writing and blogging. This is my blog if you'd like to read it. www.mymaduniverse.blogspot.com and thankyou for sharing such personal topics. It helps shed light and perspective, and it really helped me feel less alone reading your entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabby,

      Thanks for getting in touch and telling me a bit about your story. I'm glad my blogs have helped you to feel less alone, that's one of the reasons why I write such personal topics - because I know few people are willing to and these sorts of things can make a person feel really isolated.

      I'm glad that you're doing well and feel the same way about writing that I do. My writing has given me a focus in life, and I'm glad that you are using it as a positive step and also that you were able to get better yourself.

      I agree that doctors need to listen more to patients, here in the UK a lot of doctors have a God-complex and refuse to listen to what their patients are saying. I also believe that some antipsychotic medication can cause hallucinations or an increase in other symptoms. When I was first put on olanzapine (Zyprexa), it made me extremely drowsy and I was unable to counteract the voice I was hearing. For two years I had been relying on facing up to him through my thoughts but because the olanzapine made me so drowsy, I could never think of responses to the voice. As a result, I ended up listening more and more to what it said to me, many things were extremely damaging, and I personally believe the olanzapine made me worse. But that's a whole other topic!

      I hope you are able to stay well and I will check out your blog when I have a bit more time. Thanks for getting in touch, I always love hearing from people!

      Katy x

      Delete